Heart, Vows and Lies

By Qhawekazi

"Baby, I will patiently wait for you!"
"Mrs Me, I assure you, no one can take your place!"
Empty promises,
Empty vows
Now, I am here, staring into space
Very long ago, she took my place
Couldn't you wait?


"Baby, I love you!"
"My love, I miss you!"
Lies,
Fake words!
Now I am here, staring into thick air
Thinking it's not fair
Damn you, was it necessary to lie?


"You are the mother of my heir!"
"I will love you each and every year!"
Sweet nothings!
Sugar-coated lies!
Now, I am still childless, my heart grieving.
Very long ago, she gave you children.
Like seriously, why did you lie?


"Wait for me, I am coming!"
"Don't cook, we will eat out!"
Heartless lies!
Now, I am sitting on a bonnet
Thinking of a sonnet
How dare you?

The Poet

Nokhutula "Qhawekhazi" Sandu is a young and high spirited  girl from Zimbabwe, who lives in Kuwadzana. She loves writing short stories and poems in both Shona and English. Love, poverty, death among others are the main topical concerns which her writings focus on. Currently, she is studying Political Science at the University of Zimbabwe.

Comments